Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Week 6 Story: Laos Unit

War
(Photo on Pinterest)

There once were three sorceress born from king and queen. Their names were Dokmai, Kodon, and Saksuan. Each daughter had a signature that they chose to master. Dokmai was in love with plants and nature. She grew plant trees and harvested crops for the village. Kodon loved being around water, she could make the Earth move if she wanted. Saksuan was very charismatic and charming. She could enchant her way into anything.

The sisters were inseparable and very powerful when they were all together. Even though they got along, everything was a competition. They had a private wizard teach them everything about magic and they were always trying to outshine the other. One time Dokmai infested the island with miniature crocodiles when she tried to transform a tree log into one giant crocodile. Kodon flooded the entire village that took weeks to restore. Saksuan always used her powers to steal her sisters’ dates by charming the boys into changing their minds.

When the girls reached the age of 15 they were considered adults. As a gift for becoming women, the king and queen gave the daughters their own portion of land. Dokmai, was granted a coastal region in the Southeast corner of a large continent where the weather was perfect. She could pant as many flowers and trees as she wanted. Since Kodon loved the ocean so much, her parents granted her a cluster of islands. Saksuan was given a a tropical island where anyone that lived their was happy and handsome.

The sisters wanted to throw extravagant “house warming” parties and sent out invitations. But they each received each other’s invitations and realized they all set up their party on the same day. The sisters met up to convince the others to change their party dates but none of them wanted to budge.

Dokmai had already set the exact time for the Echinopsis cactus to bloom and its life span is only a day so she can’t reschedule. Kodon felt she shouldn’t have to change because she was the eldest. Saksuan said a prince was coming to hers and she couldn’t cancel on a prince. The sisters left the meeting furious. They all still planned to have their parties on the same day.

The night of the party was a disaster. Kodon sent floods right through Dokmai’s party, destroying her cactus. She also flooded Saksuan’s party and injured the prince who promised to ruin Saksuan’s reputation. In retaliation, Dokmai sent poison ivy to inhabit Kodon’s islands. Saksuan used her powers and sent hurricanes towards her sisters.


The fighting between the sisters only got worse and started a war. They spaced out their attacks to ensure a surprise attack. Anyone that tried to travel between the three sisters land were never heard from again. They destroyed anyone that traveled through in fear of spies and because of jealousy. The war would go on for centuries, even until this day. Modern people now recognize the war ground as the “Bermuda Triangle.” The Bermuda Triangle is occupied by the sister’s land: Florida, Bermuda, and Puerto Rico.


Author's note: The Laos Unit is a collection of folktales, not just one story. I chose this unit because my family is from Laos so I thought it would be an interesting read. One thing I noticed about the stories is that most of them explain how something came to be, for example, why rice is now small, how the "plain of jars" were formed, or how lighting came to be. The stories varied so much that I chose to stick with this "theme" since it was the most reoccurring. I googled world wonders and I thought a story on how the infamous Bermuda Triangle came to be would be fun. Also, I named the sisters, after the places they represent. Florida, which origins came from "land of flowers," and "dokmai" means plant or flower in Laotian. Bermuda is a cluster of islands and "kodon" means island in Laotian and Puerto Rico's origin came from the term "land of enchantment" and in Laotian "saksuan" is the closest I could translate the word to. I hope you enjoyed it!

Bibliography. "Laos Folk-lore." Katherine Neville Fleeson. Source

4 comments:

  1. Wow, Paulina, I really enjoyed the creativity and unique take on your story! What an awesome idea!! I loved that the sisters were so competitive between each other and always trying to outdo the others. I don't have a sister, but that seems accurate :) I was stressed out for them whenever their parties were all the same day and I loved that they had a meeting to try to reschedule, but they all had their own reasons not to. It cracked me up that all of the parties ended up being a disaster because of the other sisters! I especially thought it was cool that you explained the origin of a world wonder with this fantastic story. What a cool way to relate it back to something everyone has heard about today, whether or not they've ever heard the folk-lore behind it. Overall, I really enjoyed this story and look forward to reading more of your writing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a fun story to read! It was awesome that you have a personal connection to the story with your family being from Laos! You did a great job developing each sisters' character and giving examples so we kind of got a glimpse into their lives. They all seemed pretty vindictive! Ha where is the love? It might have been interesting to have the king and queen's perspective to see if they ever intervened when their subjects starting dying from merely trying to travel. I found one typo in the third but paragraph but other than that this story was great! I loved your creativity and I genuinely enjoyed reading it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Paulina!

    I really enjoyed reading this story, you had a very creative spin on it and that made it very enjoyable to read. I feel like the situation the sisters found themselves in with their parties is a very accurate scenario that could definitely happen in real life. I don’t have any sisters personally, but I have friends that do and I know how competitive they can be, especially when they are close in age.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Firstly, I decided to click your 'Story' label to reach your Week 9 Story a tad quicker and possibly see what else you had written over and I must say that I am glad I did so. I'm actually Laotian and it is nice to see another fellow Laotian!
    I love that you chose names to represent/symbolize their interests, though I only know the Lao name for flowers, I wish I knew what the others were. I'm not fluent in Lao since my parents speak to me in English more, but I hope to gain back the language in due time. I'm glad your Author's Note explained the other two though; after I think more about it, it makes sense!
    Utilizing the narration style worked well for this type of story and the plot of the story was very well thought out and written as well! I loved the concept, well done!

    ReplyDelete