Thursday, January 19, 2017

Growth Mindset

There are two types of people in this world. 
(Photo by Jessica Ottewell)

I loved the idea of growth mindset. We touched on this topic lightly in a previous class I've taken and we also discussed "fixed mindset." I don't believe that people have a fixed mindset, if that were the case, we would never go to school and we would never practice at anything.

I really like the the video and how instead of failing, students will receive a "not yet." Words are so powerful and telling a student they failed has a much different impact than it would if you tell a student they just aren't there, yet. Yet, will make them feel their time is coming if they work harder. By telling them that they failed, it's like saying "well you tried and couldn't do it, so that's that."

Just because you struggle with something more does not mean your knowledge is limited or reached its peak. I struggled really hard in chemistry when I was in high school. I mean really struggled, my parents hired a tutor, I also got tutoring from my chemistry teacher, and my brother majored in bio-chem and he was helping me. It took a village to teach me chemistry, but I finally got it, while some students in my class could just read the textbook and pick it up. I had to try a lot harder than most of the students in my class, but Carol Dweck touches on the amount of improvement one can make with effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment