Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Storybook Favorites

This was as SnapChat taken by Alice when she met the Caterpillar.
(Photo by Kimberley Bishopok, Web Source)



I found this story to be so entertaining because my friend and I always talk about what it would be like if characters like Alice were given smart phones and access to social media. I can imagine having a serious conversation with my friends about this story, we’d probably ask stuff like “Is there even service in Wonderland?” Or “what will the Queen of Hearts do if she sees Alice snapped her?” It’s a very modern version and I think the way this Alice talks adds comedic relief. She’s extremely casual about the whole situation. I don't think I'd be as calm if I were falling down what feels like a never ending rabbit whole. 

First off, I love that they gave the wolf a name. For some reason, it feels more personal.  Secondly, the accounts on the “Villain’s Side” reminds me of the movie “Maleficent” because they tell the story from her point of view and she’s not as evil as everyone thought. It’s funny how biased people can be sometimes without realizing it. Even in movies, you’re typically on the side of the person whose story is being told, even if they’re in the wrong. But it’s because you get to know them personally and you start to empathize with them. An easy example I can think of is the Fast and Furious franchise, the characters are all criminals, but you side with them and not the law.


I found this story especially funny because it reminded me of a theory I learned in Communication Theory. I can’t remember the name of the theory but it was basically about how men and women communicate differently.  Men focus on report while women focus on rapport. When we read fairy tales it’s always in the point of view of the Princess. Well, in this reading it’s in the point of views of the Princes.

No comments:

Post a Comment