Monday, January 16, 2017

Week 1 Story: The Dog and the Farmer


The King and his trusty sidekick. 

The Dog and the Farmer

There was a dog who worked for the king. The dog was sent to find a new person to fill the role as the chancellor. The king was very specific about what kind of person he wanted.

“He or she cannot be greedy, but must be genuine and kind,” the king said.

The dog went on his way to find the perfect person to be the new chancellor. While the king told him what he wanted he did not instruct the dog on how to find a person. So the dog had to come up with a plan of his own.

The dog ran down to the river and rolled around in mud. He then walked through town begging the towns people for food.

“Get away, scavenger!” A farmer called out.

The dog was feeling discouraged, that he could not find anyone kind until he felt a hand pat his back. He turned. It was a teenager, no older than 16.

She picked him up and took him home to bathe him. She prepared supper and fed him.

The dog was concerned because she was a child. He didn’t know if the king would approve or not. But the king did not mention age. 

He pulled the girl’s skirt by is mouth to get her to follow him. He ran back to the king’s castle as she chased after him.

“Slow down, buddy! I can’t keep up.”

The dog rushes through the palace doors and the girl follows.

They enter a room where the king is also conducting is own search for a new chancellor.

“I am strong and bright, I will make a wonderful chancellor,” said the same farmer that called the dog a scavenger.

“Ah, my dog has arrived. And with a friend?”

The dog barks.

“This gentleman has come to me with the intention of being my new chancellor.” The king looks at the farmer, “tell me sir, are you good with dogs?”

The farmer looks nervous. He recognizes the dog from earlier.
“Why, of course! I love dogs! I love all animals, after all, I am a farmer.” He replied.

The dog beings to growl. The king looks at the dog, then back at the farmer.

“My dog seems to disagree. Why would he do that, now?” Asked the king.

Nervously, the dog-dealer replies, “I haven’t a clue.”

“Because you called him a scavenger and refused to help him when he needed you.” The girl cried out. All eyes turn to her.

“And who are you, my dear?” The king asks.

“I am the girl who has been taking care of this dog. I apologize your honor, I wasn’t aware he had a home or an owner.”

“Don’t apologize. He was only doing his job.”

She smiles. The king looks at the farmer.

“It seems to me you are only kind to other people and creatures when it is convenient for you. You may go.” The king says to the farmer.

The dog pushes the girl from behind towards the king.

“What is your name?” The king says to the girl.

The dog jumps around happily.



Author's note:
The original title to the story was The Dog and the Dog-Dealer. It is tale about a dog, who asks a former dog-dealer to purchase him and the man denied the dog, calling him "ugly" and that he was worthless. The dog then goes to the king's palace and the king finds the dog to be "charming." As this happens, the man walks buy and the dog asks him once again to buy him and the man, without realizing it was the same dog, I assume, says that the dog is worth too much and he couldn't possibly afford to buy him otherwise he would immediately. The dog then calls him out on how being at a certain place at a certain time can have such a huge affect on a person. 

I chose to give this story a make over because I really liked the message it sent. I didn't want to change to the story drastically, because I wanted it to still have the same effect. I liked that the dog was deemed worthless until he was known to be associated with the king, then people cared for him. But I also wanted to point out that not all people are that way and some are kind and genuine. I wanted to repeat the message to always treat people with kindness and sincerity, whether you think they have something to offer you or not. 

Bibliography.  "The Dog and the Dog-Dealer" from Indian Fables by Ramaswami Raju. Web source.

5 comments:

  1. A nice fairy-tale-style expansion to instill a better sense of a world to the original story's message of unconditional kindness, Paulina. I feel like in a fantastical premise like this, the vocabulary can be more vibrant, and that as an expansion we can expand on the characters of the farmer and the girl, but it still stands as its own parable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this story! I think you did a great job with this rendition of the original. I especially love that the dog figured the best way to discover people's true nature was to see how they treated a dog that looks homeless and sad. I think it was cool that the King trusted the dog so much that he did not even have to give specific instructions, and he immediately appointed the girl as chancellor based on his dog's recommendation. Great story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great retelling! The inclusion of a generous and kind girl to care for the dog was a nice change, and I think it helps amplify the bad traits of the farmer who turned the dog away compared to the original story, while also introducing a more softhearted side of the story. Also cool that the farmer faced a sort of karmic punishment for not helping the dog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Paulina I really enjoyed your own version and interpretation of the story! I liked how the King trusted the dog with finding someone. People want someone in power that is loyal and trustworthy. The way you incorporated the dog to find someone was very clever. I wonder why people were so rude to the dog. Any time I see a dog roaming around I always want to help it. I also wonder if the girl was allowed to be the chancellor? I feel like that would be interesting if you continued that in your story and elaborated on it. Overall, I found your story to flow very well. It would have been interesting if you added in something that maybe happened to the little girl along the way. I always like when the story takes a random twist. Any recommendations that I have would be to make the font a little bit bigger.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was an adorable retelling of the story. I really enjoyed how you related it to people treating others differently in different light. I feel that relates to people when they are trying to pick out a dog to take home. Most people look at shelter dogs as less than a puppy from a "loving home" off of Craigslist.

    I am curious about how long it took the dog to find someone worthy of the Chancellor position? Was it something that he took time searching for, or did the girl appear pretty swiftly after he started begging?

    I really enjoyed how you ended the story with the king asking the girl for her name and the dog jumping excitedly. I am really curious about the king's reaction to her being a female and her being so young. What if you added a little bit into the story giving the king's reaction and the dog urging him to pick the girl? It might add a little more drama to the story having the kind question his dog's choices even though he sent him to find someone in the first place.

    Again, I really did enjoy reading this story. You did a fantastic job adding details and making it your own! Great job!

    ReplyDelete