Thursday, January 19, 2017

Time Strategies

Checklists are very beneficial for people not only to physically complete tasks, but psychologically and emotionally as well. 
(Photo by Yanine Wong


I really enjoyed reading The Myth of "Too Busy," at first I thought the author was going to say something like "you're not too busy, you're just lazy," but instead he offered a different way to approach a heavy schedule. I've noticed throughout the semester I have loads of time during one week and then the next week it's as if I have one thing after another and it will never end. So I feel busy, when in reality I just didn't prioritize my time well. I could have gotten ahead the weeks I had a lighter work load, instead I chose to push it aside. What I've taken from this article is that I should not only stay on top of my school work, but to try to get ahead that way my "busy" weeks don't feel as overwhelming.

I also read The Psychology of Checklists because check lists are my life. I have a list of things to do from the moment I open my eyes in the morning to the moment I close them at night. Every detail of my day including the start and end time and travel time are included. It sounds crazy, but it works for me and it makes me feel more at ease. I'll make lists for how much homework should be done by a certain time. If I know I won't finish an assignment in one sitting, for example a 12-paged paper, I will break it off into sections every day and have a list of how much of that assignment needs to be done each day. I even go as far as writing down what time I have to shower and eat along with what times I'm going to feed and walk my dog. I admit, it's excessive, but it's effective and the best part is crossing things out on my to-do list as I go until there's nothing left.

After reading this article I realized the science behind my slight obsession and why it makes me feel so good. The article states that these little successes release dopamine, "which is connected to feelings of pleasure, learning, and motivation." I found this interesting and it makes me feel a little more sane to know that there is a reaction psychologically that makes me feel this way and it isn't just a "mental" thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment